Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Affirmations for Saying Goodbye/Letting Go

 

 
 
Although I collected these quotes specifically because I could relate to them as a foster parent having to say goodbye to another foster child, as I was looking over them (particularly the first two) I was struck by how much they could apply to a birthparent having to say goodbye to their child at placement.  And I am aware that the grief of choosing to place a child or saying goodbye to a foster child isn't just a one-time event! 
 
Because of that realization and because those feelings of grief and loss are hitting so close to home with me lately, I feel like [quite literally] applauding birthmothers who put the needs of their children ahead of their own wants and desires and are willing to break their hearts for their child.  Especially in light of the fact that such a personal and complex decision may not be understood by others and they may not have the support they need.

5 comments:

SmallAdventures said...

Mary, I just want you to know I love you and think you are awesome!!!! Thanks for being such a support to me! I means more than I can express! By the way your blog looks incredible! Way to go!!! I have been so crazy lately I haven't done as much blog reading as I like to...I can see I have missed alot. Going to catch up! :)

Jen said...

Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I will revisit your words when we come to our first good bye. As much as we try to prepare ourselves for that day, I know you can never be prepared enough to say goodbye.

Praying for you.

Penelope said...

Saying goodbye is probably the hardest part of being a foster parent. Thanks for sharing your heart! I've featured on Facebook.

Mary said...

Thank you, Penny.

Unknown said...

It is truly hard to say goodbye. Adopting a child even if it doesn't comes from your own, is really heart breaking. I'm not a mother or a foster parent but I know the feeling, if saying goodbye to a friend who you care and value the most is heart breaking how much more to a child who you consider your own.