Sunday, July 12, 2009

Why I Do Foster Care

This post was originally published in MEM's MEMOS on March 27, 2009

I have felt an urge to write about Foster Care- it's been on my mind a lot lately. I would like to briefly answer the question of “Why I Decided to Become a Foster Parent in the First Place.” Any guesses? I’ll make this multiple choice for you:

I DECIDED TO GET INVOLVED IN FOSTER CARE BECAUSE:

A) I have a bleeding heart.
B) I’ve always been interested in Child Welfare
C) I haven’t had much success in producing my own children so I figured I might as well care for other people’s children.
D) I’m a glutton for punishment
E) I just “felt” like I was “supposed” to


The answer is all of the above. (I guess it was a trick question).

I would eventually like to write about “C” and “E” in more detail which is challenging because
1) I don’t have the time right now and
2) There’s SO MUCH TO COVER that I’m afraid my posts would turn into a novel.
We’ll see what happens. In the meantime I have a few more posts on the topic of foster care.

No comments: